Friday, May 11, 2007

Holy Cats!

Every two weeks or so, I try to treat myself to one of those delicious deli breakfast sandwiches. Usually tuck into a bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll. It's a great way to start a Friday morning as you sit by your computer and temp.

This morning I took ten minutes out of my work day to run down to the West End Deli and grab breakfast. The deli is much like any of the hundreds of others all around the city. It has the same menu and basically the same prices. Considering that New Yorkers will frequently order in their breakfast, it isn't a surprise that the market supports so many of the same store.

The guys behind the counter were nice and, as always, I noticed a cat sitting by a bag of potatoes, watching the world go by. I kind of like cats. I don't love them, but they do add something to the neighborhood feel of a little shop. New York delis, vegetable stands and even restaurants frequently keep cats around. It is not just for the ambiance.

When we first arrived in the city, Kitty and I were out and about in the West Village and we went to a little Indian restaurant to grab lunch. They had a $5.95 lunch special that was absolutely fantastic. As we were sitting there, Kitty noticed the house cat and commented on how cute it was. As the cat moved on about its business, I looked past my wife, deeper into the restaurant and towards the kitchen. A mouse scurried across the floor between some empty tables. I watched as the cat slowed down and started to creep along the floor. Kitty (my wife- I realize that this might get confusing!) was talking about something or another, but I really can't remember because I was enthralled by the stalking that was going on.

Some things to know about Kitty. If she sees a spider, mouse, rat, snake or small insect, she is known to scream. She is also known to attempt to kill it and then explain how the cockroach was actually 7 inches long with razor-sharp fangs and it was heading for her throat.

The tension was palpable as I saw the, well, cat-and-mouse game play out ubeknownst to my wife. The mouse survived and we got dessert. A few weeks later, Kitty reminded me of how good the food was and how she wanted to go back. After holding out for so long, I confessed what I saw. She didn't take it very well.

Now though, Kitty is definitely doing better with the variety of life here. Cats, mice and insects are a common place here in the city. It can be tough to get used to and it isn't really about cleanliness, it is more about what is discussed in Jurassic Park, "Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way." You can kill them, but there will always be more. It was true about velociraptors and it is true for living in a big city.

No comments: