Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Friendly Mohawk

Times have changed. With my occasional switch to the F-train, I'm exposed to a much different cross-section of the NYC population than when I stayed on the C. Envision for me, if you will, core samples taken from the ice of the Antarctic (before it all melted, of course). Scientists would drill down and remove layers of ice and some of the frozen ground. By looking at it, they can make educated guesses about the origins of life.

I also development patterns as I switch trains. Back in the early 1980's, the punk scene became big at clubs like CBGB. Many of these angry, young musicians sported mohawk hairstyles and it shocked the uptight world of the Reagan years. People feared the punks and sporting a mohawk easily identified you as someone who would just as soon spit on you as talk to you.

This morning I boarded the F to find a young man sporting a mohawk. He wore a pink button down shirt and a hankerchief like an ascot. I was almost scared until I saw his Prada sunglasses and his terminally hip shoes.

How has mankind evolved so far so fast?

1 comment:

Silvia said...

Hi, interesting blog.