Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tiptoe through the Tulips

As I walked to work the other day, I was walking up Second Avenue when I saw a heavy-set woman moving towards me. She had an I-pod and was skipping downtown. She was in her late fifties and was wearing sneakers and she was singing to herself and as she skipped, her arms swung wildly in time.

It is also surprising to see runners as they move down the sidewalk in some of the most non-residential parts of the city. The streets are incredibly crowded and they dodge through the people, run red lights and keep their heart rate in the cardio-vascular zone.

I suppose people can ambulate about the city as they please. I find myself taking the stairs, two at a time, up from the subway to the street in the mornings. If you take the E/V to the 53rd Street station, you will realize how hard this is. I am sure that I get strange looks from the riders on the escalators who are to my right. I zip past them and when I get to the top, I try to pretend that I'm not out of breath.

No comments: