Thursday, December 08, 2005

My Life, the Carousel (You may want to look at a subway map)

Hop on the G-Train heading towards Queens. Ride the subway to the end. At Long Island City, Change to the E/V line. The "music" kicks up. It's a woman screaming obscenities at no one in particular. People quicken their pace to move past. I'm sure that there are moments when we all wish we could scream like that.

Pop onto the E/V Train and take it one stop to 51st Street. Walk up 5 flights of stairs. It is good for your heart. I could take the escalator but I fear that it ascends so high that I'll end up looking at St. Peter as I walk off. Better the devil you know, and so I take the stairs two at a time.

Walk north to 58th Street, where I go to my office job. Spend the day there, listening to the music of a Scottsman and a Brit teasing each other as they pick out $300/yard fabric.

At 5 p.m., walk back down to 51st street, Catch the E-train to 14th Street in Chelsea. Sing an opera with a small company. The music there? Amahl and the night visitors. Walk back down to 14th street, Grab the C-train to Brooklyn, transfer to the G at Hoyt-Schermerhorn and ascend the stairs to our home.

This is the New York equivalent of a perfect circle. The ups and downs are the variations that I see as I do this same loop day in and day out. The music changes as I go from station to station. I hear steel drum melodies, people playing Christmas Carols on their electric keyboards, jazz trios, and subway dancers who do flips off of the poles in the subway cars as hip-hop blares.

It is a fun ride. Hang on!

No comments: