Sunday, December 11, 2005

INCONCEIVABLE!

"Ha ha-- you fool! You just fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The first is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less known is this: Never go against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! Ha Ha Ha, Ha Ha Ha, Ha ha HUH!"

My career is rather boring. I try my best to avoid it in this blog, but every once in awhile it will rear its ugly head. In this case, it has to do with celebrities. In New York, celebrities are everywhere. My wife is known to go to the Meatpacking District, if only to catch glimpse of the Olsen Twins or Lindsay Lohan. It's a hobby to try to see them around.

As an opera singer, I meet people who are famous in my little world, but not much more than that. All that changed this Friday when I took an audition for an Off-Broadway play. They needed some opera singers to fill out the cast. Apparently the show had some sort of "opera within the play" and they were specifically looking for tenors in their 30s. I sent them my audition package that morning via email and they asked me to come in that afternoon. It was an exciting offer and I showed up to find that it was the call-backs. Typically, one sings for a casting agent, but when I walked into the room, there were about ten people there including The Celebrity. I've given ample hints as to who it was. The quotes that I gave were from a certain, wonderful family movie starring little Fred Savage. Ok, enough of dropping names. For those of you who knew me back in High School, this film had a huge impact on my formative years. It was all I could do to not start shouting out movie quotes in the rests between my singing!

It was my only my second brush with celebrity since moving here and it was pretty thrilling. I did sing rather well, but on the way out the monitor said that they were looking for someone either ten years older or ten years younger. So goes the show business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right, Chocolate room inhabatent. Your bear of a sister wants an update here! What is going on with your life?