Thursday, January 07, 2010

Top 10 List for 2009

10. Each year Kitty and I designate it "the year of..." and choose a seasoning or cooking technique. One year it was the year of Adobo seasoning. Another it was the year of salt & pepper. This year? The year of Baker's Chocolate Chunks! I try not to be a corporate shill too much, but these are clearly superior to all others.

9. Bronx Opera. They hired me for a bunch of shows and I've learned so much. On weekends when the train service is disrupted, I could get to Maryland faster than I do my round trip to rehearsal.


8. HPD of NYC. This exists in the toughest city in the world? Sign me up.

7. Because we don't need just one Chinatown. We have two... um... make that three. And yes, I no longer have to cross a river to get myself some Prosperity Dumplings.

6. The Xbox 360. Now I have a chance to do grown-up gaming for myself and actually play with friends online! I'm killing zombies in Left 4 Dead and saving the universe in Mass Effect.

5. The Flip. Keeping distiant family members up to speed on the Peanut is easy and fun. It helps that Kitty is doing all the editing and emailing. Shout out to Web Wendy... you made the top 10!

4. I did my first audition for an international opera company. It was humbling. The second one went much, much better. (but still no word yet.)

3. The 2 train. Kind of a sleeper hit. I switched to it on my regular commute and all of a sudden it shaved 25 minutes off my commute. Sometimes you have those NYC moments when you smack yourself on the head and say, "what were you doing for the last 3 years?"

2. The ice cream sandwich at http://www.xiexieproject.com/. And the bahn-mi. But especially the ice cream sandwich.

1. 2009 was the Year of Media. Discovering that my film debut is now available. Actually, I'm a little embarrased. Back in '96 when it was made, it took about 10 takes to get my one line right (it was in freakin' Czech! Give me a break!). I was broadcast on TV as Tamino in Bronx Opera's "The Magic Flute" (thank you Bronx cable access!) and my website got a facelift. While that is all well and good for me, Kitty and The Peanut got in on the act when we were featured as the family face of the Breastfeeding Initiative for the NYC Department of Health. (sorry... no links... but I'm sure it is out there somewhere.)

1 comment:

Ursula L said...

Link for the breastfeeding book is here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/csi/csi-breast-feed-mother-guide.pdf

Urs