Friday, February 10, 2006

Mailing is a sign of love.

If you have received a card, package, or anything requiring a trip to the Post Office, you have no idea how much we love you. Really, love doesn't begin to cover it. You are adored. If you doubted our affection, for shame... this entry is proof. (For those of you who have not yet received a card or package from us, you are loved as well.)

Trips to the Post Office are mine-fields of the first order. It starts with volume. There are a lot of people here and they all love people elsewhere. This leads to a lot of mailing. If the U.S. Postal Service were to have enough offices, they would have to buy out all of the Starbucks locations and start turning them into branches. Skip that... even that wouldn't matter because I waited a half hour for my last cup of coffee. The lines branch out in many directions because there are lines for every aspect of your postal needs. The one to mail packages, one to pick up packages, one to ask questions, one to buy stamps, the list goes on and on. If you happen to get into the wrong line and only find out whey you get to the front, well, too bad for you. It's a long walk to the back of the correct line.

At our post office in Brooklyn, the employees are, what I like to call, "special." By special I mean, they have zero personal and customer service skills. Every time I get to talk to one of them, I make sure I am organized and have exact change ready. I also say a little prayer that I don't get Mr. Sarcastic. Like an evil tooth-fairy, his purpose is to bring pain and tribulation to your day.

Note: In the field of acting, we frequently use subtext to say a line but have the opposite meaning. Actors can very their tone of pitch, inflection of words and pace of speech to transform lines, entertain audiences, bringing joy and illuminating the human experience.

Now imagine if you will, a man who smiles at you and will hold the following conversation with you:

Customer: Hello, I'd like to get a book of stamps.
Mr. S: Alright, just one?
Customer: Yes, just one book, thank you.
Mr. S: That would be $6.77.
Customer: Here you go. And could you mail this letter?
Mr. S: Of course. Have a nice day.

Not too bad, right? I'm going to now add commentary to the dialogue outlining the subtext in this brief motivation. Please keep in mind that Mr. Sarcastic is smiling and friendly LOOKING:

Customer: Hello, I'd like to get a book of stamps. [Hello, I'd like to get a book of stamps.]
Mr. Sarcastic: Alright [this is a huge inconvenience for me, Idiot], just one [you cheapskate]?
Customer: Yes, just one book, thank you. [What the heck? I just asked for a book of stamps?]
Mr. Sarcastic: That would be $6.77 [and I hope you die in a horrible car crash].
Customer: Here you go. [What did I do to deserve this tone of voice? I'm baffled] And could you mail this letter? [Please, don't be mean to me... I fear you so much already.]
Mr. Sarcastic: Of course [you could give me a tip or something]. Have a nice day [nice= getting cancer].

No comments: