Thursday, October 06, 2005

A moment of Silence, please.

As I got off the A train yesterday to transfer to the 4, I got stuck behind a mass slow people on the stairs. I heard the A train move to the next station behind me and the sound was replaced by a woman singing spirituals.

On most days, she is somewhere at the Broadway/Nassau station. She sings, hands out pamphlets and talks to people about Jesus. As this huge group of people walked up the steps, and continued down the hall, her voice still could be heard. I walked up two ramps, her voice getting louder as I approached, until I finally caught up with her.

It took me a good five minutes on the 4-train before I realized what just happened. Outside of her singing, the passengers were absolutely silent. I don't throw around the word, "absolutely" lightly. No one was speaking. There was a quiet shuffle and click of shoes and only that voice.

No comments: